When you hear the word “deviled” you usually think about the word that comes next…eggs. But for me, I wanted something deviled, but plant-powered. So I did some thinking and came up with and idea to scoop out a tiny bit of the center of an avocado and then fill it with lots of protein and greens…this was my result. The Deviled Avocado. I must say I made a bunch of these (I think there were 16 total) and brought them to a party that my mom was having and they were gone right after I put the plate down. They are filled with beans, spinach, fire roasted tomatoes and tons of other yummy spices that you and your guests will love. The best part…you eat them right out of the avocado. No need for a plate…unless you are putting some other yummy stuff on it. Here’s how I did it! Hope you enjoy!
- several conventional avocados (feel free to skip organic if you have to for these…they are the #1 cleanest fruit on the EWG’s Clean Fifteen list!) Yes, an avocado is a fruit. : )
- one can of organic black beans
- two handfuls of spinach
- one can of fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- sprinkle of cumin
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of paprika or chipotle pepper powder
- wash and cut all avocados in half, removing the core (for a simple way to cut these bad boys, click HERE and see how I did it in my recipe for my Vegan Grilled Cheese with Avocado)
- with a small spoon, scoop out the inside rim of the hole left from the avocado core to make a bigger area to place your yummy ingredients
- place the scooped avocado into a bowl to the side
- after you have scooped the avocado centers and added them to a bowl, add the rinsed can of black beans
- chop and dice your spinach into small bits and add that to the bowl of avocado scoops and black beans
- add your fire-roasted tomatoes to the bowl of ingredients
- mix it all together, add your salt, cumin and paprika and scoop the mixture it into your avocados and you are set to go!