[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_image admin_label=”Image” src=”https://leangreendad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_0904-e1450150592740.jpg” show_in_lightbox=”off” url_new_window=”off” animation=”off” sticky=”off” align=”center” force_fullwidth=”off” always_center_on_mobile=”on” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” /][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]
In an earlier post, I talk about five must-have family apps. Featured in that post was the Forks Over Knives app. This recipe is from that app and man is it good. The app even let me send the directions on how to do everything to myself so I could share it with you! Hope you enjoy it. I sure did!
I thought you might like this recipe from the Forks Over Knives app:
Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1½ cups red and green bell peppers
- 1¼ tsp sea salt
- to taste freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves medium-large garlic
- 4½-5 cups black beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp juiced limes
- ½-1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups yellow sweet potatoes
- 1-2 limes
- 1 avocado
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 1-2 tbsp water, onions, red and green peppers, salt and pepper, cumin seeds, oregano, allspice, and red pepper flakes.
- Let cook for 5-7 minutes until onions and peppers start to soften.
- Add garlic. Cover, reduce heat to medium and let cook another few minutes to soften garlic – if sticking/burning, add another splash of water.
- After a few minutes of cooking, add 3½ cups beans (reserving one cup of beans), 3 cups water, tomato paste, vinegar, lime juice, and maple syrup (start with ½ teaspoon).
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until fairly smooth.
- Increase heat to bring to boil, add bay leaf and diced sweet potatoes, then once at boil reduce and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add remaining cup of black beans and extra maple syrup if desired (taste test).
- Stir thoroughly, let simmer for another few minutes, then serve, topping with cilantro if desired and with lime wedges. Try topping the soup with some chopped seasoned avocado or a simple guacamole for extra yumminess.
Leave A Comment