[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”] [/et_pb_text][et_pb_image admin_label=”iTunes Button” src=”https://leangreendad.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Click-to-Listen-On-3.jpg” show_in_lightbox=”off” url=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lean-green-dad-radio/id942160962?mt=2″ url_new_window=”on” use_overlay=”off” animation=”off” sticky=”off” align=”center” force_fullwidth=”off” always_center_on_mobile=”on” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” /][et_pb_image admin_label=”Image” show_in_lightbox=”off” url_new_window=”off” animation=”left” sticky=”off” align=”center” force_fullwidth=”off” always_center_on_mobile=”on” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” src=”https://leangreendad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Untitled-design-8.png”]
[/et_pb_image][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
What You Will Learn From This Episode: (scroll all the way down for the podcast audio)
In this episode, Cory from Real IronDAD will talk with you about how to get started in a healthier lifestyle. This podcast will give you simple steps and small adjustments you can make to start your life take a healthier turn for the better. What type of rice is best? IS there a healthy cereal out there? What if you love soda and can’t give it up? There are over ten tips and thoughts that Cory shares that you can take and apply to your family in addition to detailed show notes for you to take a look after you listen!
Items Mentioned In The Podcast:
1. Switch Your Soda – If you are drinking name brand soft drinks and soda’s with tons of sugar and aspartame and high fructose corn syrup, dyes and ingredients you cannot pronounce, make a switch to something that will still satisfy your sweet tooth, but will keep you much happier and healthier. Think about doing a soda water with lemon or life (or both!) and also look at St. Croix…a brand you can find in your grocery store that is basically flavored soda water.
2. Switch Your Rice – Brown Rice in mass quantities is not necessarily good for you, (HERE‘s why) but it is higher in antioxidants and doesn’t turn into sugar like its evil counterpart, white rice. BUT…did you know that red or black rice is even better for you? Check out THIS video from Mr. Michael Greger, who explains it all.
3. Switch Your Pasta – Enriched and bleached are not words that should be in the ingredients of the food we eat. Sadly, most pasta’s have these. Look for whole grain pastas or even better, look for some quinoa pasta or black bean pasta. The Tolerant brand of pasta is wonderful and also for the quinoa versions look for the Ancient Harvest brand in stores.
4. Watch Out For Cereals – Many of them are full of sugar. Before you continue reading, know that 95% of cereals are no good. Don’t fall victim to clever marketing on the front of boxes. “All Natural” is not a term regulated by the FDA and means absolutely nothing. If the sugar content is more than double the fiber content, walk away. If you reverse that little rule and the fiber is double the sugar content, go for it! More fiber is a good thing! Look for whole grains and a limited number of ingredients. The Engine 2 Cereal at Whole Foods is the best I have found.
5. Embrace Smoothies – Just like my 7 year-old says in Episode 37, try smoothies. They are a great way to get your fruits and veggies in your system. Strawberry Banana is my favorite. You can get creative and add some coconut yogurt or even some protein powder if you want, but you don’t have to. Just get creative and eat up those fresh organic fruits in your smoothies.
6. Take A Multivitamin – Think of it as your insurance policy for the day to make sure you get all of the fruits and veggies you need. We aren’t perfect. Sometimes we need a little help and a little pill made from whole food, organic plant-based ingredients will do the trick! Check out this quick post I did on multivitamins.
7. Eat Fresh Fruits and Veggies – In the morning I eat mangos. I also eat a banana. You can blend it up and or you can cut up some strawberries and eat those. There are lots of things you can do with fresh fruit. Just make sure you eat them and think about eating them in the morning!
8. Get Rid of Milk – Cow milk is for cows. If you have allergies or a stuffy nose from time to time, get rid of your dairy milk intake. Just give it a try and see how you feel. No more bloating…no more stuffiness. Don’t worry that you are not getting enough calcium. Almond Milk has a great amount of calcium in it. You might also want to try Coconut Milk (So Delicious Brand) or Rice Milk as alternatives as well.
9. Lower Your Meat Intake – So many of us think we need meat for protein. We think this so much that our plates end up being over 50% meat. If you think of your plate as divided by fours, take a note from my friends at Super Healthy Kids and think about a protein, fruit, vegetable and grain to make up the four portions of your plate and you will be all set!
10. Take a B12 Supplement – My wife and I are vegan so we must take a b12 supplement. B12 is created by microbes…not by plants or animals. The only reason vegans do not ingest b12 is that they do not ingest animals. Non-vegans get their b12 from the animal they eat because the animal eats grass, which contains the microbacteria, b12. Sounds strange I know, but for more on B12, check this out.
Final Thought: I did not mention cheese because I know cheese might be one of the hardest things to give up. I will just tell you this…you might love cheese, but cheese does not love you…for the same reasons that milk does not love you. Being honest with you, there is no way that you can substitute cheese as a cheese eater and be satisfied 100%. I have not found a vegan product out there that tastes like actual cheese. Vegetarians eat cheese. Even if you are able to try just one of the ten things listed in this post, you will be ahead of the game. Keep up the good work and take every day a step at a time towards going the extra mile for you family!
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_audio admin_label=”Audio” audio=”https://traffic.libsyn.com/realirondad/42__How_To_Begin_A_Healthy_Lifestyle.mp3″ title=”How To Begin A Healthy Lifestyle” image_url=”https://leangreendad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Untitled-design-8.png” background_layout=”dark” background_color=”#000000″ use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]